Loosely based on the famous Chanko Nabe consumed by sumo wrestlers, this is great either as a side dish or a nutrient dense, but low-calorie main course. It's a lot of food though so you’ll need a large paella type frying pan for this of either 38 or 40cm diameter. We’d recommend either an enameled one or a standard non-stick version. If your frying pan is smaller than this and/or you have an induction hob, we’d recommend dividing all quantities in half and doing two separate batches.
- 100g baby spinach chopped
- 100g spring onions chopped
- 250g carrots – cubed (approx. 3 regular sized carrots)
- 150g chopped tomato
- 400g chopped tenderstem broccoli
- 1 large cauliflower (approx. 500g) - grated
- 225-250g green lentils
- 50g pistachios
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp. lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground salt (ideally Himalayan or other mineral rich salt)
- 2 tbsp. macadamia or coconut oil
- Heat the garlic, lemongrass paste, salt, pepper, coriander and macadamia or coconut nut oil on a medium heat in a large frying pan. Be careful not to overheat the oil, as it will start to spit with the lemongrass added.
- As soon as the herbs and spices become aromatic, add the grated cauliflower, tomatoes and lentils and increase the heat.
- Once the cauliflower ‘rice’ has started to soften stir in the rest of the ingredients in the following order, one every two minutes and cook until everything is heated evenly.
Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds