A refreshing salad that's satisfying without being heavy and still provides a healthy hit of protein.
- 2 tbsp quinoa
- Salt and pepper
- 4-6 tenderstem broccoli spears, cut into bite-sized florets, stalks sliced
- 120g frozen peas
- Quarter cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 100-150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ½ avocado, cut into small cubes
- 1 small handful of basil or coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the quinoa into a small pan. Cover with cold water to a couple of centimetres/one inch above the grain and let it gently simmer over a low heat until the water has evaporated — this takes about 15-20 minutes — then cool to room temperature.
- Pour a couple of inches of hot water into another saucepan, add a pinch of salt. Bring it to the boil, drop in the broccoli & peas, cover and boil for 3-4 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to take all the heat out and keep the broccoli good and green.
- Toss the main ingredients of the salad: broccoli, peas, cucumber, feta, alfalfa sprouts, seeds, avocado and quinoa. Only dress it with the lemon juice, oil, herbs and seasoning just before eating it.
It's worth noting that once you've made this a few times, you probably won't need to keep weighing out any of the ingredients for this salad. The beauty of this dish is that so long as you keep the ingredients the same, the proportions of the individual quantities don’t seem to matter too much.
Based on the original Leon Superfood Salad